Sunday, November 9, 2008

Saturday at the Olympic Training Center

I cannot figure out why there is so much space under my bed.

Colorado Springs, Colo - So I'll start at the end of my day and work backwards.

It's close to 11 o'clock and I didn't eat dinner. I skipped it to watch (the start of) a football game between Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. Then I fell asleep. Now I am awake, watching an episode of the original "Star Trek" series. This is one of the few times all year I have actually turned on the TV in my hotel room. (Just to clarify, I'm staying in a residence hall at the U.S. Olympic Training Center.)

I can't talk about sleep without mentioning the incredible bedding provided in my room. Hampton Inns is a sponsor of USA Cycling and they have provided the same comfortable mattress, sheets and comforter you enjoy in their rooms here. (The towels and washcloths also come from Hampton.)

So my long day began with breakfast at the dining hall of Olympians. It's always a treat to visit and take advantage of the free food and lodging (I was last here in 2006). The food is awesome and there's plenty of it.

Just about everyone here has a laptop - and is using it.

Today's sessions were held in a massive auditorium-like setting. It was actually one of three basketball/volleyball courts where the U.S. Olympians practice. Unfortunately, there were no basketballs around. (I have asked about getting some for tomorrow, though.)

Here's the rest of the day in pictures:

This is a large chess set outside the athlete center.


A large medal count banner hangs on the wall of one court.


Larry Martin (left) and Mark Guthart joined me
for the morning session.

No comments: