Sunday, July 24, 2011

Not The Best Days

This crude broadcast is how I watched the Tour today.

When Greg LeMond won the 1986 Tour de France, he crossed the finish line shortly after 9:30 a.m. CDT. The race wasn't shown live, but CBS did do a tape-delay type broadcast, beginning at 11 a.m. But get this, CBS affiliate KMTV did not choose to show it.

So, I called my senior year roommate at Mt. Michael, Matt Schmidt, who lived in Bennington. He said his TV was able to pick up 10/11, the CBS affiliate broadcasting out of Lincoln.

So I packed up a new VHS tape and drove the 35 minutes to his home. And that slightly static-filled broadcast is what I have to show for today.

Flash forward 25 years and here I sit, trying to watch the final stage of the Tour de France again. Only this time, my cable connection to Versus is not working – just like it didn't work yesterday.

Here's my view of the race:

No comments: