Thursday, November 3, 2016

Cubs Win! Cubs Win! Cubs Win!

Some pretty fun newspaper front pages emerged after the game.
I am not a baseball fan.

Anyone who has known me for any length of time can tell you that. When I worked in the newspaper business, I disguised my lack of knowledge of the teams, divisions and stadiums by saying, "the cycling season overlaps baseball so it is hard to follow both sports." It was really a way of saying, "I am too lazy to follow a sport that seems pretty lazy to begin with."

Anyway, last night was Game 7 of the World Series between the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians. Cleveland had once led the series 3-1 and was now hosting the game "for all the marbles." I was at a Nebraska Film Association meeting when the game started, which led to a memorable moment. Not too many minutes before the meeting wrapped, I heard a huge roar from the bar area. It turns out the Cubs had scored on a lead-off homer.

I ended up watching the extra-inning game from home. And that's good, because at one point I was so tired I was laying on the floor.

A few minutes after the game ended, Budweiser surprised everyone by airing a classic commercial from the 1980s. It features legendary Cubs announcer Harry Caray, one of the most beloved characters in the history of the team.

I also woke up to this two-minute video from Budweiser that uses old audio of Caray that has been edited together. It makes it sound like he is announcing the end of Game 7.

"Harry, they did it," the video description reads. "The impossible is possible. Hear the legend call one last game. Cubs, #ThisBudsForYou. #FlyTheW."

Here's a bunch of other front pages from newspapers around the nation.
This poor newspaper went to press before the extra-inning game concluded.
Another "Holy Cow" caption.


No comments: