Sunday, April 5, 2009

Bracket Do-Over

It will be Michigan State against North Carolina Monday.

Obviously, there's a reason Uncle Neil was the youngest statistician in the history of professional basketball. He is good with numbers.

So it didn't come as a big surprise when he called me out on some goofy numbers as they relate to the basketball brackets the girls and I filled out and have been tabulating as the NCAA Tournament went on.

I looked into my "fuzzy math" and figured out I was assigning point values to the wrong columns. So, here are the revised standings with one game to go:

Veronica: 122
Sean (Dad): 113
Emily: 69
Julia: 36
Lauren: 29
(Olivia did not do a bracket this year.)

Veronica has chosen North Carolina to win the national title so she has the potential to better her point total from a year ago. She also wins the family bracket contest for the second straight year. Way to go, Tiny! Not bad for a three-year-old...

There is also the business of laying out the situation with the "mini-brackets" we did (picking only the Final Four games). Olivia and Lauren each correctly picked both of yesterday's winners. Julia and Veronica went 1-for-2 in choosing Connecticut to beat Michigan State. Olivia and Lauren have chosen Michigan State to win Monday night - could it be the familiar ring of the school being a hockey opponent to UNO?

4 comments:

Bridget (Weide) Brooks said...

Nice job, Olivia and Lauren! I have taught you guys well! (For those that don't know, Jon and I went on our honeymoon almost five years ago to East Lansing to watch the UNO hockey team take on the Michigan State Spartans).

Those girls are so smart!

avery said...

the gene pool is a better place since u began procreating! keep it up!

Anonymous said...

What in the world do you think that you taught them.You keep thinking that you are more important than you are.You want everything to revolve around you.You can have your own kids if you want to be that GREAT mom.

Uncle Neil said...

I think next year I'll have Veronica help me do my bracket! My success dwindles after the sweet 16. Good thing I don't bet money on these things.