Saturday, March 21, 2009

Back In The Saddle

My race number included the number 16
– fitting since I last raced 16 years ago.

So I took the plunge today and ventured back into the side of bicycle racing I had not experienced since 1993. The decision to race Saturday in the Twin Bing Classic originated with Craig Harding, Team Type 1's regional team director, and was finalized when my brother-in-law, Jon Brooks, told me "you should do it!"

So there I was, early Saturday morning, getting things ready to go. Harding and Nancy Stirek picked me up (thanks!) and we made the 90-minute-or-so drive north to Climbing Hill, Iowa.

My expectations for the race were pretty simple: finish, don't crash and have fun. The Category "B" race was only 42 miles, but advertised as "having plenty of hills." Geez, they weren't kidding. The climb out of town to the finish line (about 3 km) was a gradual uphill with a steep kicker (10 percent, perhaps?). I knew getting dropped right off the bat would mean starting the climb at the front and slowly going backwards.

Two funny things happened before the race. First, the registration folks were thoroughly impressed with my pre-printed athlete waiver (thanks PDF Pen!) - which nearly caused them to forget to collect my $20 check. The other "classic Sean" moment came as we were getting ready to line up. The 72(!) people in the field were staged, then lined up on the road. I told Craig to hang way back (I think he was a little nervous about doing so, particularly since I hadn't been at this for some time) and then we'd dash up to the front. And that's precisely what I did - riding through the grass, around a mailbox and to "pole position" for the start before you could say, "Boo." Mission accomplished.

That first climb, though, was a leg-breaker. Or more precisely, gut-wrenching. I was warmed up - or so I thought - but didn't feel good at all. I was pretty "blocked" and went from front of the line to right at the back once over the top. It was going to be a long day. It got longer when the group I was chasing missed a right-hand turn. Five miles later, we figured out we were going the wrong way.

From there, we chased back to get back on course. It wasn't long before we hit more hills and I was off the back again. UGH. Roller after roller put the hurt on, but it was getting warmer (probably up to about 50 degrees) so that was nice. Eventually, I caught the remnants of my group and worked together with them as we got back to town.

Heading out for a second lap of the course was pretty much out the window, though, as I didn't want the race officials to be there until 4 or 5 p.m. waiting for "Mr. Slow" to make it around again. So I did my good deed for the day and told the officials I was "retiring" and headed back to the car. (Click here to see the official results.)

I met a lot of great people and it was kind of nice to be a little incognito at a bike race (as much as I can lay low). Of course I'm a little tired, but have some great memories.

It was pretty chilly at the start.

Kitted up and ready to go.
(Yes, I need a Louis Garneau helmet.)

Check out the lead vehicle for the "A" race.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good thing they didn't use that lead van at the ATOC, the writing wouldn't have lasted a minute.

Good onya though for your race outing! I am impressed. Maybe you should be our next interview!

bryan said...

Hey Sean -- it was great to see you out there today. Too bad about the missed turn. You almost rode to Sergeant Bluff, though. That would have been fun, right?

Unknown said...

Sergeant Bluff has a place in my heart, as I "own" a flag pole there. Read why here:
http://tinyurl.com/c7yxtl