Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Back In California

Host housing in Redlands, Calif., is first class.

So I'm back in California for the third time this year. This time, it's for the 26th annual Redlands Bicycle Classic. The four-day stage race is one of the longest-running events on the National Racing Calendar.

This is my third time at this race. In 2008, I was here with Rock Racing (which won the race overall). Last year, it was Team Type 1. This year, Fly V Australia.

On the flight out of Omaha, I was nearly bumped. But flying through Phoenix had its benefits, as a snowstorm in Denver all but shuttered that airport and stranded travelers nationwide. Surprisingly, when I boarded my flight to Ontario, Calif., (not Ontario, Canada) the plane was nearly empty.

The other interesting aspect of my travel Wednesday was running into the Azusa Pacific basketball team. Coincidentally, I had watched highlights of the NAIA school losing by one point (the potential game-winning basket was waved off) to Dallas Baptist.

The airport in Ontario, Calif. seemed strangely empty.

No comments: