Saturday, November 13, 2010

Waking Up To The First Snowfall

The view from my deck. The snow is already melting.

There's something almost romantic about the first snowfall of the season. I can recall quite a few over the years – whether it was when I was a student at Mount Michael, my freshman year at Kearney State College and even when I was a child growing up near 50th & Mason Streets.

How much of a surprise was this first snowfall? Well, the City of Omaha had to quickly mobilize a bunch of plow drivers because the forecast called for no accumulation, except on "grassy areas" overnight. When I woke up this morning, the snow had melted on the main thoroughfares but was still a slushy mess in my apartment parking lot. How much snow did we get? Well, from the looks up it, at least two inches.

Waking up to a fresh snowfall almost makes it easy to get out of bed. I imagine the girls are anxious to get out and play in the slushy mess. A couple of them have mentioned that playing in the snow in my apartment courtyard is one of their favorite memories of 2010. For me, all it took was this first snowfall to carefully eye that $300 airline ticket voucher and wonder when I'm going to book a flight to someplace warm.

The swimming pool doesn't look as inviting this morning.

Before nine o'clock, someone had already built this snowman.

No comments: