Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Don't Soak In Water

This little creature was made by Lauren (out of sugar).

Tuesday afternoons are a busy place around my apartment. Around 3 p.m., I fire up the glass carriage (actually a mini-van) and head down to St. Mary's of Bellevue to pick up the princesses. Recently, I have not been able to pick up Lauren right after school because she has "Wits Clash" practice. So the routine has been to pick up the other four girls and head over to see Aunt Jean.

The stop to see Aunt Jean is a quick one, as we have to pick up Lauren by 4:15 p.m. Then it's back to my apartment for a snack, the changing of clothes and homework. And it's the latter that really consumes a lot of time and energy. Today it was Veronica whom I spent the most time with, as we made our way through the "Rosary Book" – which shows students how to pray the rosary. Lauren was working on history, Julia was working on a family tree and Emily was doing something that required her to use the computer. Or at least that's what she told me. Olivia only needed her agenda signed (which means her work was completed), so she helped take down the Halloween decorations in the hallway.

Speaking of Halloween, Lauren presented me with the unusual artwork pictured above. It's made entirely out of sugar, but it's not too fragile. When she gave it to me, I told her the first thing I'd do with it was "wash it off" so it was nice and clean. I don't think she picked up on that because any contact with liquid is going to turn that head into a pile of sugary mess.

No comments: