Friday, December 5, 2014

Peter Pan Live Panned

What looked promising quickly sunk into the depths of disappointment.
I was looking forward to last night's broadcast of "Peter Pan Live." I really was. I remember seeing it as a stage play when I was growing up and have a few memories of Mary Martin playing Peter Pan on TV.

I was also curious to see how Allison Williams (daughter of NBC News anchor Brian Williams) handled the musical numbers, as many of the teaser commercials failed to include that aspect of this "musical" production. That led to rumors that she couldn't sing.

All of my (somewhat high) expectations were dashed in the first 10 minutes. That's when I noticed the actors were lip-synching to a music track, likely recorded in a studio (not even in a rehearsal, I'm guessing). What a major fail. No wonder NBC didn't put a "live" bug in the corner like it did during the "Sound of Music" last year.

So what did others think of this $10 million production that included 46 cast members and a few of 350?

Here are some of the headlines this morning:
  • Peter Pan Live! Review: No Amount of Clapping Brings It to Life
  • Peter Pan Live Was the Worst Three-Hour Drag Show We've Ever Seen
  • 'Peter Pan Live!' musical fails to take flight
So I wasn't the only one who suffered through the three-hour – yes, it was three hours – production that seemingly included the same set of commercials every half hour.

I don't know if I can stomach another live musical and its pre-broadcast hype. Let's just end it with Tinkerbell and her glorious exit:




No comments: