Sunday, December 7, 2014

Trans-Atlantic Travel

I landed in Paris as dawn was breaking.
Paris – I have gradually worked my way up the status ladder on Delta airlines enough that typically, I am seated in "Economy Plus" on international flights. This section boasts a bit of extra legroom, it's located closer to the front of the cabin (meaning you are served meals faster) and typically, I can get in a bulkhead seat, providing me even more extra legroom.

Unfortunately, for my flight from Atlanta to Paris, I was back in the "peanut gallery." And the flight was a code-share with Air France. That means fewer movies, cuisine that's a bit more international and no personal air conditioning device above your seat. It's not a great mix. But not too bad, either.

I always tell the person seated next to me (in this case, I was on the aisle in the middle of a 2 seat-4 seat-2 seat configuration) to elbow me if they need to get up. Generally, I get up more than they do. But on this flight, the woman next to me decided it would be easier if she just crawled over me. So twice, I woke up to her trying to creatively crawl on top of me to get to the aisle. I don't believe she tried to wake me up either time.

Anyway, my always-sleep-going-east strategy didn't work this time, despite taking three sleeping pills. It was a bit of a nightmare. I finally started getting drowsy in the seventh hour of an eight-hour trip. That's never good. So when I landed in Paris, I was not at "full strength." Here's some photos of my travel today – 18.5 hours door-to-door.

It was a busy Sunday morning at Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport.
Fortunately, I was able to enjoy lounge access in Paris. I always go downstairs. It is less-crowded.
In this terminal, there's no mistaking you are at Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport.
I exited the plane out the back upon my arrival in Valencia, Spain.

No comments: