Tuesday, January 20, 2009

1.20.09

The presidential limousine attracted a lot of attention.

I can't recall where I was for the inaugurations of George W. Bush, William Jefferson Clinton or George Bush. I do know that I was in eighth grade when Ronald Reagan gave the oath of office and the Iran hostage crisis ended at virtually the same time.

But I am certain that I will recall today's inaugural address - if only for the circumstances. A black president and the unprecedented media attention. Yahoo, for example, had a story posted during President Obama's address about his speech. Previously, something of that nature would have only been available on The Associated Press news wire.

Watching the TV this morning, I cringed as broadcaster after broadcaster, network after network gushed over President Obama. Certainly, today is a milestone moment in U.S. history. But as a journalist, it is your responsibility to remain impartial. Telling the story without bias or slant can be difficult, but it is something to strive for - particularly on an occasion as monumental as today.

No comments: