Sunday, January 4, 2009

What An Adventure

My van - and the flag pole it struck - at an Iowa rest stop.

So we're already four days into the new year and I have yet to post. But there has been a lot to do and plenty to talk about - so here's a quick recap:

New Year's Eve fireworks: The girls and I watched Omaha's fireworks celebration (at 7 p.m.) and had two memorable moments. The first was when a van went flying by the parking lot where we were parked, nearly hitting a telephone poll. The second was when the fireworks started and we realized our viewing spot prevented us from seeing the show. So we missed the first 30 seconds or so while I moved the van to a better vantage point.

Gator Bowl: Nebraska's football team pulled out another win in a game that it could have easily lost. The girls and I particularly enjoyed two plays: the second-half touchdwon catch that was "coming right into your living room" and the time the guy ran out of his shoe, leading the announcer to say, "he blew a tire!"

Trip To Mankato, Minn. - We decided to drive up to UNO's hockey game in Mankato, Minn., Saturday morning but only made it 90 miles north of Omaha before slick roads ended the trip. As we were getting off the interstate at a rest stop, I lost control on the untreated pavement of the exit ramp. I managed to avoid two other vehicles but hit a couple curbs and ultimately crashed (sideways) into a flag pole in front of the rest stop building. Fortunately, the girls were not hurt. I badly bruised my shoulder (X-rays at the hospital revealed no broken bones) and might have suffered a mild concussion as well.

As for the girls, they took it all in stride. We still got to stay in a hotel, they still got to swim in a pool and we listened to the hockey game on the Internet. Most of that "normalcy" to our "adventure" came thanks to the on-the-spot assistance of my sister, Bridget, and her husband, Jon. We also were made to feel right at home by friends Pete and Sheryl and their two children, Emma and Marshall. Having them there to help (they were traveling about 45 minutes behind us) also made great play partners for their girls.

So now I await word on the fate of my van, which was working out very well. Ahead this week is a trip up to the Shrine Hospital for Lauren's semi-annual checkup.

1 comment:

Bridget (Weide) Brooks said...

Happy to help, Sean. Although I keep replaying the spinning van in my head over and over again. I have a new respect for ice (although, like "Megan M," I was never a fan to begin with).

I can't believe I had the presence of mind to document it in Blackberry photos ... although I should have gotten a picture of my car parked up on the grass between the trees at the rest stop to get it out of the path of destruction of the cars and trucks careening into the rest stop after ours.