Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Cringe When I Hear These Phrases...

My days of writing for TV newscasts are way behind me (going on six years in May), but I still take interest in what's being delivered when I watch local news.

This morning, I was cringing during one station's report on a double homicide.

It began with the classic "shots rang out," phrase. Have you ever heard the sound of a gun firing? It doesn't sound like a bell or doorbell ringing. Or any ringing whatsoever. It's more of a popping sound.

When the anchor tossed to the reporter at the scene, her first words were "details are sketchy." UGH. Another cliché. How about, "We don't know a lot right now about what happened" or "We are still waiting to learn what happened here last night. Here is what we do know..."?

Here's another classic from the same live report: "Three gentlemen walked into a store and held a gun to the owner's head."

Three gentlemen? Wow, that's certainly being kind - considering what they were doing.

No comments: