Saturday, August 30, 2008

First Day In Greenville

The winner of this weekend's races gets to wear a special
stars-and-stripes jersey for the next year.

Greenville, S.C. - My Friday began at 3:45 a.m. and is still going at 2:50 a.m. Saturday. In between, I've flown from Omaha to Memphis, Tenn., to Greenville, S.C., eaten one meal (at Indigo Joe's), written three blog posts for Team Type 1, Twittered one report for Rock Racing, managed a press conference and a pair of crisis and represented the team at a manager's meeting.

Yes, it is back to work-on-the-road for me this Labor Day Weekend 2008. When I stepped off the plane this morning, it was almost as if I had been here a few weeks ago. But it was exactly a year ago that I was in Greenville to manage press for Toyota-United.

This is a fountain in the atrium of the Greenville airport.

Sergey Davidenko picked me up in one of the Cadillac Escalades.

I had about two hours between touchdown and my first assignment: getting two of the team's riders to a pre-race press conference. I spent about 45 minutes just getting the staff and riders assigned to rooms (I was upgraded to a "deluxe king" in a corner room for my trouble) and then another 20 or so trying to track down the two riders. Unfortunately, one of them (Tyler Hamilton) was out riding his bike (with his phone turned off). So it was just Fred Rodriguez and me who drove over to the Greenville Hospital in one of the team's Cadillac CTS vehicles (thank goodness for navigation systems).

The other crisis I managed during that time was the lack of licenses and rider releases. I expected them to be waiting for me at the Hilton. Instead, they were sent to my apartment. Thank goodness my "assistant" (Bridget) was able to assist in Omaha and get me the information. I also used my connection with the chief commissaire, Randy Shafer (whom I have officiated races with over the years), to troubleshoot the situation.

The tiny guy on the left in the white hat is Fred Rodriguez.

I readied the rider's race numbers after the manager's meeting.

Saturday's schedule should be much less hectic. Only two riders from Rock Racing - and one from Team Type 1 - are competing in the time trial. That means I should be able to get a ride in - provided I can round up a bicycle. I have my pedals (thanks for the tools, Dad!), helmet and Rock Racing kit. And a journalist has invited me to participate in an afternoon ride of the course.

This is also one of those trips that Danielle would have certainly enjoyed. As I checked into the hotel, I imagined how much fun I would have had showing her around Greenville. It's a very clean city with plenty of hospitality. Instead, I will be on the lookout for some souvenirs for our girls - who promised me Thursday night they would be good for their mom. (I'll be checking up on them, of course.)

1 comment:

Bridget (Weide) Brooks said...

Hey, that's "Executive Assistant." I was happy to help.

Jon and I are looking forward to accompanying you sometime ... California or Australia would be a lot better choice than our usual fall/winter hockey destinations (Marquette, Michigan; Big Rapids, Michigan)...

*smile*