Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Race Is Underway

This picturesque waterfall was the highlight
of the 90-minute drive to and from Wednesday's race.

Park City, Utah - Little did I know when I finished my first blog entry last night that my evening was really just beginning.

Part of my job (in addition to staffing the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah) was to follow Rock Racing's rider competing in the Olympic Games Tuesday - or actually Wednesday morning. Unfortunately, Santiago Botero did not finish his ride until the wee hours. And the event itself did not wrap up until around 3:30 a.m. So I was working on limited sleep heading into Wednesday's opening stage of the race here in Utah.

A couple random observations before today's photo gallery:

- What is up with the stars on homes here in Utah? We have speculated that it has something to do with the number of wives you have.

- There are an inordinate amount of stands selling "shaved ice" along the roads here.

- The affable boys from ROAD magazine (Neil and Tim) are here. They said I can expect to be the subject of a future video.


The mountains cast an imposing sight as we drove through Provo (home of Brigham Young University).

Fred Rodriguez places his numbers "European style" - which is contrary to the rulebook. He told me this morning, "when the promoters start paying me, I'll start covering up the logo of the guys who sign my paycheck now." Great approach. (But it will probably cost him $20 in fines tomorrow.)

I finally ran into my buddy from Toyota-United, Reed McCalvin.
He's sporting a goatee, which he said might scare the girls.
Girls, how about it?

Here is a look at the team's "recovery" cooler of beverages.
I wonder if they noticed the missing Orange Fanta.

Joining Mario and me at dinner tonight (at the same restaurant as last night) was Dan (right), the father of four girls and one boy. He drives "The Beast" for Rock Racing. (Picture of that vehicle coming tomorrow.)

The girls asked for it and here it is: My Murphy Bed pulled down. It is very comfortable - especially compared to the cot that I have been sleeping on the past month. Unfortunately, my head was only on the pillow about two hours.

And yes, Julia, I do sleep lying down. Only astronauts sleep standing up!

Here's my office - on the dining room table.
Everything I need to do my job.

Want to read what I wrote about today's race? Click here for the update on Team Type 1 (and to see one of Mario's photos).

No comments: