Monday, August 25, 2008

Next Up: USPRO Championships

Sean Weide 2007The professional cycling season is winding down - but it gets busier before the racing stops at the end of September.

On tap for this weekend are the USPRO Championships in Greenville, S.C. I attended this event last year (see photo at right) while managing press for Toyota-United, a team that is going away after this season.

Last year at this race, I ventured out on one of the team bikes to check out the road race course. It was a 16-mile(?) loop that included the climb of Paris Mountain. Initially, I was tagging along with one of the riders, Justin England, but heading out of town toward the mountain, I told him not to wait for me.

Once onto the climb (which is denoted by the words "climb starts here!" painted on the road), I knew I was in trouble right from the get-go. I had hardly begun going up and I was already down to two gears. I also didn't know the climb, so as I rounded every bend I could only hope it was the one that led me over the top.

Unfortunately, the climb that takes the professionals about 20 minutes took me about 45 (including three stops and a phone call home). But once over the top, I enjoyed a fast (45-50 mph) descent back into Greenville.

I doubt I will get a chance to ride the course this year, but it is good to have experienced it at least once.

No comments: