Friday, August 15, 2008

Meet The Press

The expressions on the riders' faces tell the story.
It was a hard race.

Salt Lake City - Things are heating up for me at the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah. The press is on the prowl - and that makes me a lot busier.

Rock Racing moved three riders into the top 10 overall and Team Type 1's Glen Chadwick (the only Olympian in the race) is the new King of the Mountains leader. So that meant two press releases, plenty of interviews and a long day of driving.

My routine the first two days of the race has pretty much been the same: Wake up around 5:30 a.m. Hit snooze. Finally get out of bed before 6 a.m. Catch up on a dozen or so e-mails that arrived overnight. Get ready for the day. Stop at Starbucks for a piece of coffee cake (or pumpkin cake, as it was this morning). Drive to the race start (usually an hour or more away). Coordinate pre-race interviews. Leave the start before the actual start to get to the feed zone. Lend a hand at the feed zone. Zoom to the next feed zone. (Repeat help at the feed zone.) Zoom to the race finish. Watch the finish. Oversee (and conduct) interviews. Drive back to the hotel. Write press releases. Update Twitter feeds. Review photos. Wait for approval. Send out press release. (Try to eat dinner sometime in between.) Watch Olympic Games (tape-delayed in the Mountain time zone). Update blog. Go to bed sometime before 1 a.m. (if lucky).

On the subject of the stop at Starbucks. It was originally (Rock photographer) Mario's idea. He needs his coffee. I don't need anything. But when we made our first stop there on Wednesday, I nearly left without paying - but not intentionally. One of the co-workers there mistook me for a police officer (who apparently get free breakfast there). I was dressed in Rock Racing black from head to toe and the crest of the team's logo vaguely resembles a police badge.

On the drive between start and finish venues today, Mario turned my attention to this ski jump. Wow. I can't even imagine going down something like that. The girls, Danielle and I have seen one even closer during our trips to the Shrine Hospital in Minneapolis. But I marvel at the bravery of these (crazy) athletes.

I also have to mention the price of gas - which is no where close to being under $4 a gallon. Most places, it is $4.15 or $4.20. Ouch.

While waiting for the riders to arrive at the first feed zone this afternoon, I spotted this guy on a horse and immediately had to take a picture for the girls. Check out his dog that was tagging along. It was something you might see in Nebraska.

I also caught up with Fabio Calabria's parents - who are here all the way from Australia - and met Rachael, a friend of former Toyota-United rider Burke Swindlehurst and soigneur for the Bissell Pro Cycling Team. She will be competing in a triathlon Saturday that includes a one-mile open water swim, an 18-mile mountain bike ride (which is up the side of a mountain) and a six-mile run. And the high temperature is only expected to be in the 90s. (Ouch, again.)

Speaking of soigneurs, Rock Racing has a new one for this race: Jen (pictured at right). She comes to the team from a stint with Health Net earlier this year - and Navigators Insurance last year. If you think my day is long, just ask her about the massages, lunches, laundry, shopping, water bottle preparation, etc., that fills her schedule.

The scenery and beautiful weather continues to amaze me. Today it was the reservoirs that spotlighted several canyons the race traveled through on its way from Ogden to Salt Lake City. Taking in the view can be dangerous, though, on narrow mountain roads with steep drop-offs.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the finish before the racers arrived - and neither did the soigneurs who were in front and behind of my car. Those things happen. Thank goodness for Mario - whose pictures told the story.

Friday night is the downtown criterium in Salt Lake City. It will be a much different routine, since the race doesn't start until 7 p.m. However, it is a Holy Day of Obligation, which means Mario and I will be on the road again early for mass.


Neil and Tim from ROAD did a pre-race interview with Tyler Hamilton.

The climb to the feed zone was 10 percent grade - and three miles long.

I handed up water bottles, while Jen had the mussette bags. When Jen and Sergey had to leave for the next feed zone, I handed up the mussettes to the two Rock Racers who were behind the leaders.

I promised a picture of "The Beast" but you will have to settle for the Rock Racing motorcoach. Stay tuned.


Back home in Omaha, I understand the girls spent the day with Grandma & Grandpa YD and Aunt Bridget and Uncle Jon. Swimming, possible swimmer's ear (Julia) and a trip to Bag 'n Save for popsicles were just the highlights. I missed it all, but hope to hear more about all the fun when I get home. I miss you and your Mom.

No comments: