Monday, December 15, 2008

Behind The Scenes At KCCX

In the most recent game of "Where's Sean?"
there I am, watching Jonathan Page go by.

I felt compelled to share one more story from my trip to watch the final day of racing at the USA Cycling Cyclocross National Championships.

Bridget, Jon and I had just sat down to lunch when I realized something warm to drink might be more appropriate than the free (and very cold) energy drinks. So Bridget offered to stand in line while Jon and I wolfed down our Famous Dave's BBQ sandwiches.

Looking around, I noticed two young girls looking absolutely bored out out of their minds at the table next to ours. I immediately thought they were girlfriends of some racers who had no interest whatsoever in being at a cyclocross race - much less one where the wind chill was in the single digits.

Eventually, Bridget returned with hot chocolate in hand and a story of a conversation with a mom of one of the competitors. Apparently she was from Florida and her son would be competing in the elite race. This woman went on to tell Bridget that her son was going to win. Sure, right, whatever. Don't all moms say that? Unfortunately, Bridget couldn't recall the name of the woman, but did remember that it was kind of funny sounding with multiple syllables.

Only later did I mention Ryan Trebon - who crashed out of last year's race - which triggered Bridget's memory. That was whose mom she met in line. And when I pulled up a photo of the happy Trebon family posing after Ryan's victory - there were the two "bored-out-of-their-gourd" girls. Ha. No boyfriends for these ladies. Just one proud brother.

Thanks, Larry Rosa, for letting me share your fine photography.

No comments: