Friday, December 19, 2008

Early-Morning Snow Blowing

The streets outside my apartment were quiet at 5:30 this morning.

So I was up a little after 5 a.m. in anticipation of snow blowing up to four inches of snow. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately), there was only about an inch-and-a-half of snow. The other two inches below it was ice from last night's sleet storm (see previous entry).

Snow blowers don't work well on ice. Only on Aunt Jean's driveway did I manage to get all the way down to the pavement. So I'll probably be snow blowing some icy-slush mix from the other sidewalks and driveways later today.

Also worth mentioning: the sound of scraping ice from windows and windshields on cars in my parking lot. What a chore that has been for people this morning. I am thankful that I have a garage. Very thankful.

I snapped this photo as I was getting ready to walk home around 7:45:
You can barely see the outline of the ice-covered sidewalk.

No comments: