Sunday, December 14, 2008

Cyclocross Nationals: What A Day

We were all smiles on the drive down to Kansas City -
before the cold front swept in and made it a bone-chilling day.

Kansas City, Mo. - It's not very often that a world-class cycling event goes off in your backyard. So I just had to go down to Kansas City and watch the elite men's and women's National Cyclocross Championships Sunday in Tiffany Springs, Mo.

Along for the ride was my brother-in-law, Jon, and my twin (six years apart) sister, Bridget. I was pleasantly surprised they opted to take me up on the invitation to go, considering we had to leave around 7 a.m.

When we left Omaha, the temperature was in the 40s. On the way down to Kansas City, we stopped at a rest stop south of St. Joseph and the temperature was 52 - but we knew a cold front was not far behind. It was 58 degrees when we arrived at the venue but we pulled on our winter coats and hats, to the disbelief of a few people who had no idea what was coming. Sure enough, fewer than five minutes later the wind came up and the temperature plummeted - probably about 25 degrees in 10 minutes. You had to feel sorry for the collegiate women, who were moments from starting their race (many of them wearing short sleeves and shorts).

I'll let the pictures tell much of the rest of the story. It was great to catch up with so many familiar faces - and I certainly appreciated the "shout outs" from race announcers John Lefler Jr. and Dave Towle. I felt pretty important, as you might imagine. After all, who am I? I haven't raced a bike in years.

The starting grid is a crazy area minutes before the start.

The start of a cyclocross race is always an all-out sprint.

Steve Tilford and his girlfriend (and soigneur) Trudi.

Posing with Team Type 1's Chris Jones before the start.

Diane Fortini was the chief referee.

I still can't figure out who was riding this Rock Racing bike.

Pabst Blue Ribbon as a sponsor? And "Mafia Racing?" Weird.

Bridget and Jon pose by the Team Clif Bar (school) bus.

It was great to catch up with my Utah friend Rachel Cieslewicz.


Sydney Brown was back at it after finishing third on Friday.

Jesse Anthony of Team Type 1 finished fourth. Wow.

Jon and Bridget pose near the Chamois Butt'r barriers.

My good friend Gina Poertner, who is a fixture at races in Kansas.

This sign was very, very strange. Not funny. Just strange.

By the way, my intent to get in a finish line picture succeeded. Look for me in my Team Type 1 gear and black hat here.

Random thought: Did you catch the Nebraska volleyball team's victory that advanced it on to the volleyball Final Four, which will be held at Qwest Center Omaha? I didn't, but saw the highlights. Pretty amazing stuff, coming back from a 9-3 deficit (when you only play to 15) in the final game.

And one final thought: the New York Giants seem to be in a bit of trouble after losing to the Dallas Cowboys tonight. I know a lot of people who are rooting for the Giants and they seemed confident earlier this year that the team would be back in the Super Bowl. Now it's not such a given.

No comments: