Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Paris-Nice, Stage 1

Here's the AutoGrill restaurant where we ate. Kind of like the Kearney Arch, eh?
This will be short (again) because it's now Tuesday morning and my plans to write an entry last night were foiled by a malfunctioning tether system.

Can you figure out what's going on here?
Basically, Monday's stage went fairly well for me. Brent Bookwalter did crash, which is never good, but I got comments from him, John Lelangue and Tejay van Garderen, as well as Philippe Gilbert in French. So that was good. I also had a conference call and a bunch of the usual stuff to do but the bonus was that I was staying at a different hotel than the team. Normally, this isn't the best situation. But I've learned that it can actually be a good one. The key is to get there soon enough to enjoy it. So as soon as we arrived at the team hotel, hospitality director Jacques Michaud and I took our own car and zoomed to a Kyriad Hotel. There, I enjoyed my own room (pictures below) and a nice dinner at a restaurant just 200 meters down the way at the same highway rest stop. Overall, it was a good night.
The dessert selection was pretty good tonight.

I saw this at the restaurant last night and immediately had to order it.
Check out the traffic in Paris.
There's my bio sheet in the corner. AG2R was the only other team to supply press information.

The press center was in a gymnasium.
Check out the construction just outside Paris.
The bathroom was not very scenic.
The area near the finish line featured this canal. Pretty scenic.
Jacques Michaud and I high-tailed it from the team hotel to our hotel.
Tons of little amenities, which is surprising for a three-star hotel.
This looked pretty stark and barren. But it worked fine.
My room at the Kyriad Hotel was a bit no frills, but well-lit and spacious.
Traveling with Jacques Michaud in France is great. Everyone knows him.

Jacques Michaud and I stayed at the Kyriad Hotel, about 45 km from the team hotel.
The view from the restaurant overlooks the highway. Reminds me of the Kearney Arch.
Not the healthiest, but well-deserved and probably not possible the rest of the race.
From where I stood, you couldn't even see the finish line for Stage 1.

No comments: