Sunday, March 3, 2013

Surviving The Prologue

How's this for placing your order at a McDonalds? It's how they do it in France.
Montesson, France – This will be short because it's getting late here. But I wanted to add some narrative to the few photos I have to share.

Sunday was definitely a busy one. In addition to the usual activities of the day, there was also a race preview to write, a director's report to share, a post-race interview session at the hotel and a bit of a fight with the hotel internet, which finally gave up the ghost about a half-hour after I returned. Thank goodness for Tether.

The highlight of my day/night was a trip across the street to McDonald's for a McFlurry. Incredibly, they gave me two when I thought I ordered only one. Yes, the receipt confirms I ordered one. The reason I wasn't sure was the automated kiosk you see pictured. Pretty cool. You order and pay away from the counter, then wait for your order number to be announced.

I've also included two photos of my room, which is now a private room. Some staffers left the race today, which meant my roommate – 1983 Tour de France Stage 19 winner Jacques Michaud – got his own room as well. We're staying at a Campanile, which I have stayed at before in France. They're a bit the equivalent of a Motel 6 or a Super 8, only with a restaurant.

All of the photos I took at the prologue today are in the BMC Racing Team's Flickr gallery.
Small bathroom. But this is a three-star hotel. Actually, I would give it two.
Two small – very small – beds. But a nice workspace that overlooks the outdoor corridor.
Here's the proof that I only ordered one McFlurry.
Two McFlurrys for the price of one.
This was dinner.
And a peek inside the M&M McFlurry, with extra chocolate.

No comments: