Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Arrival

My hotel room (read: office) at the Courtyard Marriott.

So my quick trip to Los Angeles (and much warmer weather) is underway. I arrived at my hotel after a positive experience at the rental car office. Life lesson for the YD girls: Renting from a "no-name" brand is often good for a couple reasons. Prices are low. The airport shuttle is always empty. The line at the rental counter is always non-existent.

My hotel is located in a massive office park area near the Los Angeles Air Force Base (which I didn't know existed). On weekdays, I'm sure it's a bustling, traffic-snarled area. But on weekends, it would be the perfect place to shoot an "what-happened-after-the-atomic-bomb-went-off" movie. The wide, four-lane roads were completely empty. Parking lots absolutely deserted. No sign of life anywhere (but my hotel). It was pretty strange.

The other nice things (besides what's pictured below): Easy access to the airport, to the freeway, to church (about eight minutes away) and to plenty of restaurants (though I only ate twice). Plus, the breakfast buffet at the hotel lobby was terrific. The downside: Cell phone service seemed to be spotty.

Saw this in the online photo gallery and had to take my own photo.

The pool was smaller than it looked in pictures.

I would have loved to have shot hoops here. No time.

My rental car had Washington plates. Strange.

No comments: