Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Busy Day

This was my first glimpse of Taylor Phinney this year.

So today was an incredibly busy day. I'll only hit the highlights here because I'm short on time. But overall, it will go down as one of my most productive and most enjoyable road trips of all time. (Others: Tyler Hamilton ESPN.com interview in Boulder, 2008 trip to the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah and the 2008 Tour of Britain).

Church at St. Anthony's was certainly memorable. They asked visitors to stand before mass. I acted like I didn't hear them. (I also ignored the people looking at me.) I later wondered what they would have done had I stood up.

The velodrome session at the Home Depot Center/ADT Events Center (or whatever they call it) was awesome. I've seen photos and watched webcasts of the track, but had never been to the facility. It is awesome. And USA Cycling does a great job of not letting you know that volleyball and basketball courts are located on the infield and time is rented out to youth teams. It was quite a sight, watching one of the world's top track cyclists (Taylor Phinne) spin around the track while a bunch of parents cheered on their kids, not knowing the "Michael Jordan of cycling" was in their midst.

Other observations: The banking is really steep. Track racing is cool to watch. Roger Young is the best at what he does when it comes to training track riders.

My one regret on the day: That I didn't get a photo of a surfer dude walking down the street upon my arrival in Marina del Ray. The beach was less than 100 meters from the street, yet I didn't take a moment to check it out. Yep, now I regret it. I'm also going to miss the 60 degree temperatures when I get back to Omaha.

These guys were in front of me on the way to Marina del Ray.

NFL playoff games are on early on Sunday nights in California.

Taylor and his father, Davis, being interviewed by Nick Heil.

Yep, basketball and volleyball courts are on the infield.


Some of Greg LeMond's jerseys and bikes are on display.


A tribute to the Olympic velodrome is also on display.

No comments: