Thursday, September 4, 2008

Boarding A Plane: Tutorial For Emily

The GOP Convention is on the TV at my gate at O'Hare.

Chicago - The girls had all kinds of questions about my trip today when they spent the night at my apartment. One of the things I promised them would be to document my trip as much as possible (and to find some good souvenirs).

Emily asked about seeing how I get on and off the airplane. So here we go in pictures (click on them to enlarge):


Left: The "jet bridge." Right: Boarding the plane.

Left: Inside the plane. Right: The jet bridge exterior.

The jet bridge makes it seem like you aren't even going onto an airplane. Rather, it is like going down a hallway. So when you reach the part where you actually go onto the plane (the photo above with the "United" logo on the side of the plane), you don't see that you're about 12 feet off the ground.

The jet bridge (see exterior shot, above right) moves away from the plane after they close the door. If the plane isn't parked in just the right spot, they can't extend the jet bridge (which has happened to me a couple of times).

Fortunately (or unfortunately), my flight was delayed by weather in Chicago. Like lots of rainy weather. But we didn't find out until we were on the plane and in our seats. Only then were we told that it might be up to a four-hour delay. Fortunately, it was more like 90 minutes. So I'm typing this out at O'Hare Airport as I await a flight out at 9:31 p.m.

One request I might not be able to fulfill on the way to Great Britain is the photo Emily wanted of the ground. I haven't had a window seat - and I don't foresee having one for my international flight. However, they did upgrade me to "Economy Plus" (more legroom) and I'll be on a much larger plane (a Boeing 777). As you can see from this video, it's a big plane.

No comments: